[softwarelist] Re: !OvFilters 0.01

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:34:53 GMT

In message of 20 Jan, Bernard Veasey <bernard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> !OvFilters 0.01
>
> Further to recent talk about Ovation Pro Filters, I have made a
> storage area for all of these and anything else that wants booting.
> !OvFilters is best located in the !Boot.Resources directory or
> anywhere else that is 'seen'.  !OvFilters contains a directory where
> you need to copy all your filters to - see its !Help file.
>
> It can be downloaded from my website at http://www.bapfish.org.uk/
> on the Software page then go to the 'Ovation Pro Goodies' page.
> ( Direct link - http://www.bapfish.org.uk/acorn/ovpro/ )

It looks useful, thanks.

Can I also have a think about where to place it:

First I do not like putting anything more in Boot that does not have to
go there.  I have one or two infrequent problems which may only
resolvable by reverting Boot to the as delivered state.

Second these little applications can be put in any of the root
directorys of Apps, Printing and Utilities and like all applications
that are there, they will be Booted at power-on or Reset.  But there is
a limit to the number of applications that can be so booted and I think
it is 80 or so - a odd error message appears, which I don't get any mre
so can't say what it is.

Third the applications can be placed anywhere and then Look At in Boot
Configure used to boot them up at Power-On, etc.  This takes some time
to set up and is not the easiest to maintain.

Fourth we now have OvFilters which looks as if it is an extension to any
of the above.  OvFilters itself can be put anywhere and set to be Looked
At on Power-Up.  And inside it one puts all other applications to be
booted up at Power On.  Sounds good.

Is my analysis correct?

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim@xxxxxxxxx