[softwarelist] Re: Ov to Html

  • From: M Harding <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 20:05:30 +0100

In article <54af27c8efdave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <54af15d13criscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    M Harding <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [Snippy]
> > Oh, 'eck! Yes I've got the paper manual, but when you've been
> > using something for years you think you can save reading it to
> > some period of insomnia. Now you're making me wonder how much
> > time I need to trade off in readzzzzzzzzzzzzzing what I already
> > know, against potential tips like that one which come as a lovely
> > surprise.

> Gordon Bennett Michael, I don't read any manual as a read, that's
> almost as bad as reading the phone directory (Lots of characters
> but not much plot).

> The only time I use a manual is when I need to look up something
> specific... Like the D&D tool for you yesterday, otherwise it/they
> remain in the bookcase.

> I don't think many of us are going to waste what little life we
> have left, reading manuals from cover to cover.

> I guess like most tools, only pick 'em up when needed for a job.
> ;-)

Precisely. That's why I enjoyed the insight into a novel, different
way of achieving something I didn't need to look up in the manual.
And congratulations to David Pilling for placing in the software
another 'easter egg' for us to discover.

I feel like Jim Hacker asking to be enlightened by Sir Humphrey
regarding the things he didn't know about. Perhaps I ought to contact
Fay and get her to ask you to write a manual of tips that you and the
author know about but which you don't know whether we know.    8-)

Michael Harding
Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding   riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx