[softwarelist] Re: Ov Pro windows

  • From: Chris Hughes <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 12:34:36 GMT

In message <51a14417a6dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This really is weird... I'm scratching my A*** in wonderment.

> I run OvPro, it errors, I click past the error and it presents okay but in
> a very basic form.

> I can re-work the Toolbar to my requirements, but if I then do a [Save] it
> error and will not save.

> However, if I do a SaveAs and explicitly Save it (!Macros) somewhere, it
> will execute that Save correctly.

> Quit OvPro.
> Restart OvPro, click past the error, OvPro basic arrives.
> Now if I double click the newly saved !Macros file, OvPro changes to
> reflect the new toolbar without erroring.

> Interestingly, when OvPro installs, it does not automatically create a
> David Pilling directory
> C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Roaming\DavidPilling\OvationPro\AutoRun  (xx)

The clue is this, you don't have enough rights to create the folder
(even as a so called "administrator" remember that under Windows 7
there are two types of Administrator. The one whereby you can
literally do anything you want regardless (which can be open season
for hackers etc) - you need to login as this person, and a User
administrator - this is what you are. This has more rights then a mere
user but *not* total administrator rights.

Try changing the rights on above folder (create manually if
necessary).

The same applies to Program Files folder structure and the Program
Data folder structure. Its to try and stop naughty (bad software
putting nasties in these primary areas of your system). Anything that
needs to write to one of these area needs to have the correct rights
or it will have issues.

Same can apply also to VRPC. Been there, done that.

[snip]

--
Chris Hughes
Wakefield RISC OS Computer Show - 16th April 2011