[softwarelist] Re: Odd DPlngScan error

  • From: David Pilling <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 13:49:25 +0000

Hi,

Progressive JPEGs I imagine are ancient history [1], they come from a time when download speeds were low, and there was an advantage in displaying images as they arrived - so you could rapidly see if you wanted to wait for the whole picture to arrive.

They'd transmit lines 1, 5, 9,... then lines 2, 6, 13. I can see this means it is necessary to assemble the whole picture in memory if you want to pass on lines in the order 1,2,3,4,5

All interesting stuff. But why no problem with the older version of the program and library.

[1] a quick Google and people are still promoting them as worthwhile.

--
David Pilling
www.davidpilling.com