[softwarelist] Re: O-Pro's future

  • From: Chris Manning <cgm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:07:43 +0100

In message <4FBA948FE0%cgm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> I wrote:

about pages in OPro files converted to PDF being rotated from their original
orientation.

> The document with which I chose to experiment is a letter, intended for
> printing on A4 paper in portrait orientation, the first page containing
> five text frames, the second a single picture frame.  The "picture"
> started life as a scanned, A5 (portrait) order form, which was then
> loaded, as a Sprite, into Draw, text was added, all the various objects
> then grouped, and the entire thing rotated through ninety degrees, so
> that Ovation sees it as a A5 landscape picture filling the top half of
> an A4 portrait page.

> the second page is displayed by !PDF as a landscape A4 page, the
> right-hand half of which is occupied by a portrait A5 picture frame.
> Printing it on the LJ printer from !PDF results in a portrait A5 frame
> half way down, but on the extreme RH edge of, my A4 portrait page.

> The results are the same whether I create the PDF file manually, or
> via PrintPDF.

And the answer (to someone else's question) was provided Martin Wuerthner
on another mailing list: pass the parameter

   -dAutoRotatePages=/None

to GhostScript.

PrintPDF will do this, but its operation seems to be somewhat haphazard
(sometimes it passes about 200 bytes of parameters to GhostScript, sometimes
nearly a thousand), possibly requiring the program to be quit and reloaded
after the options are selected and saved to disc.  I'm afraid I ran out of
enthusiasm for experimentation once I had persuaded it to work, but

   AutoPageRotation: 0

seems to be the required magic incantation.

Chris