[softwarelist] Re: O-Pro's future

  • From: Robert Greenfield <monster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 21:31:25 +1200

On 25 Jun, David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Viable here means the number of users. You can do a great deal with the
> program.

> >What are you comparing OvPro to for these 'basic requirements', and what
> >audience would require these 'basic requirements'?

> What does a long term Windows user want, and what does it take to
> compete with and surpass other programs.

At my work (a school), most Windows users want to use what is supplied
with the computer; that is Word, that is.
They use Word to draw circles (no, really!)
They use Word to attempt to adjust text boxes to be in a perfect position,
and they get frustrated when it won't.
The majority of Windows users that I have met haven't bought (hardly) any
extra software. My wife is one. At one point she commented to me something
along the lines of 'you seem to buy a lot of software'.

The last comment aside, imagine if OvPro could load average people's Word
docs, allow them to create and place 'text boxes' *exactly* where they
want, draw and position simple shapes exactly so that they don't look like
cack in a document.
People at school appear to be impressed that I can create .pdf files. Is
this built into OvPro for Windows? Average users would like that.
They might even enjoy using OvPro. Noone I know likes using Word.

> >> having added A they then turn around and say "do you seriously expect
> >> me to use a program that lacks feature B".
> >That is pretty rubbish of them.

> I think it just shows that DTP programs have many features.

Were these 'average' users?

> >There are inexpensive/free ways of letting people know about the service
> >that your software can provide.

> That is interesting, what are they?

(my comment was made with Impression docs at schools in mind so...)
Here in NZ there is a nationwide magazine which every school receives (The
Education Gazette). Apple NZ often advertises in there. A direct email or
letter to schools.

What about the www?
I've just done some searches for loading 'impression acorn on windows' and
similar and not come up with anything. Why doesn't your website come up
here?

regards,

--
Robert Greenfield