[softwarelist] Re: OPro master pages and DDL import

  • From: Jim Nagel <opro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 21:49:07 +0100

David Pilling  wrote on 20 Jul:

>> ... text and embedded pix have appeared in the new document.  until i
>> scroll to the end of the text and find it has stopped short.  just
>> short of a 450K JPeg, as it happens -- is that relevant?

> That is surprising. I've no thoughts that stories won't copy via the
> clipboard. If you've got an example of this I'd be interested to see it.

sorry if i caused panick!  turns out to be simply that the embedded
pic where the pasting stopped short was full width of the frame in the
old A5 document, hence too wide to fit the narrower frames in the new
Demy document i'm pasting into.  i made it narrower in the old doc,
tried again, and problem vanishes.

> Of course by now it would be easier to change the size of the master
> pages, that's the way this problem was first presented.

yes, i started by setting up a new master page (just one!) in the new
Demy document, then did "new chapter" as often as nec'y, each time
basing the new chapter on the previous one.

so this copy&paste route, one chapter at a time, seems a good
workaround to achieve an "übermaster page", whereas the DDL route for
separate stories faltered at embedded pictures and entire-document DDL
brought the unwanted old masterpages with it.

(further footnote i found about the Demy book format, by the way:
converting 216×138mm to inches comes to 8.5×5.43 -- in other words, it
seems to be near-nuff US letter paper (8½×11) folded in half.  this is
the size recommended my my particular printer for this book, since it
fits most efficiently on his press.  perhaps other printers have
slightly different mm-measurements that they call Demy; i dunno.)

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk