[softwarelist] Re: OPro Manual

  • From: Tony van der Hoff <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 15:00:04 +0100

David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<huoaHuA0zxaEFwNC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> In message <gemini.izeieh3w5e11203ld.tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tony van der
> Hoff <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> > Now, dare I mention something else that I've been wishing for; running
> > oPro under Linux? I know you've been looking into it, but that was some
> > while ago - any progress?
>
> Well yes progress. I freed up a PC for the job, installed a new hard disc
> and then got SUSE on to it.
>
> However I've not got as far as finding or installing Linspire (Lindows?).
> Frankly I've been playing with non-computer things in the last couple of
> months.
>
> I've no doubt I'll work it out, but how do I go about installing Lindows?

Um, I don't think you mean Linspire, that's a distro, like SUSE, which
you've already got. AFAIK, it won't do much for you.

I think what you want is WINE, http://www.winehq.com/ which provides an
environment for Windows system calls to X-windows under Unix/Linux.
You just download the package, read the readme, and run the confgurator, and
Bob's your proverbial.

The good news is that OPro is almost usable under WINE, but there are a
number of annoyances which prevent it from being suitable as a production
environment.

--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Buckinghamshire, England