[softwarelist] Re: OPro 2.76

  • From: Ray Favre <ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 16:17:33 +0000 (GMT)

In article <5drixqBhvtcFFw5c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Pilling
<flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <4e8f649604ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ray Favre
> <ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> >As my first posting said, I'm using !Printers 1.62 - the dpi is
> >300 for my LJ1110. I have just tried it on Sprinter, which *does*
> >print OK. So does this mean it is a !Printers issue?

> Yes. However as far as I know there is likely to be little
> difference between Sprinter and a standard RISC OS driver for the
> LJ. I'd be happy if you discovered some components from Turbo
> drivers are hanging around in !Printers 8-)

OK. Let's not spend more of your valuable time on that topic -
although I'm still bemused as to why 40 other pics in the same doc
will print *and* the two errant pics will print when they have been
'saved out, deleted and dragged back'.

I'll survive. :-)

> >2) The second issue only arose when trying to solve the above by
> >saving out the graphics as drawfiles from the OPro version;
> >deleting them from the document; then dragging the drawfiles back
> >in. When dragged back in the pics both now appear at 70.55% (!)
> >size rather than their original 100%. Why?

> It doesn't happen for me. If I take the Impression version of the
> manual, load it into Ovation Pro, the pictures have a scale of 100%.

(Yes, that's the same as here. The unwanted re-scaling only happens
with the action below.)

> I save a picture to disc, delete the original, and then drag/drop
> back into the frame. I get a picture with a scale of 100%.

Well, that's really odd. I get a reduction to 70% approx and it is
repeatable. I just tried it again in case I was dreaming.

> It's interesting that the scale is exactly 100% - presumably you
> tweeked the frame to match the picture size. We're looking at a
> couple of pictures of a two level menu tree (right?), interesting
> they are actually a few pixels different in size.

Yes, those are the pics. (I'm not surprised at the size difference
'cos !Paint requires me to drag a rectangle around the menus and it's
probably impossible to get the same rectangle each time. At my age
I'm proud that it is a small difference!)

Why wouldn't the scale be 100%? The pic is embedded in the text so I
did not create a specific frame for it - I simply dragged it into the
text after creating an empty line with centred justification. (My
normal operation for Manual pics.)

As there is plenty of room for the pic at 100%, isn't that what would
normally happen - with the pic frame being sized automatically for
that? I've only ever before seen auto-reductions when the pic is too
big for the underlying text frame in which the embedding occurs - or,
of course, for non-embedded pics which are larger than the frame into
which they're put.

> They're also not huge sprites - the original theory was about Turbo
> drivers and lots of pixels - doesn't really add up for these images.

> One snag you get with screen shots is "left hand wastage". At some
> point the decision was taken to not support it in RISC OS, however
> the SWI's which capture the screen memory kept on producing sprites
> with it. ISTR the latest version of my Snapper program gets rid of
> it.

> I have used an Iyonix for these tests.

Interestingly, the guy who alerted me uses both Iyonix and RPC and
got printing problems with both - via a network. But I don't know his
!Printers version yet.

-------

I have to say that the combination of the following factors:-

- the fact that a DDL of the selection of pages 64 & 65 (immediately
after conversion from Impression) will not load - even if they do
print in Sprinter);

- the unwanted auto-reduction on 'saving out, delete, drag back'
(which does *not* happen with, say, the first pic on Page 64);

- the fact these pics *then* print OK;

- the fact that OPro sometimes objects when I then try to make the
pics 100% again;

makes me think that there must be something odd about just those two
pics immediately after their conversion from the Impression
version...... N'est-ce pas?

But it is not important enough for you to spend more time on it.

Many thanks.

--
Regards from Ray Favre. Email at:  <ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Web site at: <http://www.rayfavre.me.uk/>