[softwarelist] Re: OPW anoying feature on import

  • From: John M Ward <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 23:34:47 +0000 (GMT)

In article <97CE9E7C5023477DB195C2C3DF634037@XPHOMEPC>,
   Dan McCarthy <danmccat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It is my own fault of course.

Of course  :-)

> Sometimes when importing a graphic into a frame, the frame has become
> deselected while I am looking for the graphic. If I fail to notice this
> OPW says it has become confused and will have to close.

Oh!  I don't work with that version, but I can't help wondering if this
might be because it would need to work with the "load file" type dialogue
rather than just dragging a graphic file into the desired frame.  If so,
it suggests one of the undoubted difficulties of porting between systems
that operate in different manners, as well as the coding aspects.

Just a thought that might be helpful in the program's author tracking down
the (apparent) bug...

> This usually happens when a deadline looms and I find I have lost a
> couple of hours worth of typing that I have neglected to save.

Naught boy!  What happens if the power fails or similar?  I always but
always save work very frequently, never assuming that my system is
necessarily going to be still working a minute from now.

I never lose anything!

> It would be nice to have a safety net.

Well, for a start, switch on autosave...

--
John Ward in Medway, Kent - using RISC OS since 1987
Now using an Iyonix, an A9home, 2 RiscPCs and Virtual-RPC!