[softwarelist] Re: OPW and copy/paste options

  • From: Clive Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 12:04:06 +0000
On 5 Jan 2010, at 11:29, David Pilling wrote:

> In message <75C012AC-4C0E-4562-B422-1D3257937D5D@xxxxxxxx>, Clive Bonsall
> <cbonsall@xxxxxxx> writes
>> The Windows clipboard allows the copying of styled or formatted text between
>> applications ... even between Mac OS and Windows under virtualisation. For
>
> Windows clipboard supports multiple formats. At the moment OPW saves as OPW
> and text. What you would like, is for it to save as RTF, HTML, Word etc. or
> at least one of them, then styling information would appear in destination
> apps that support these formats.
>
> There is the question of how far things go, are we talking about just
> bold/italics or actual style names and things like leading, or enhanced
> justification.
>
> Adding this is easy enough, but its the usual problem of "what's the point".

The "point" is that documents for typesetting in OPW are normally presented to
me as MSWORD files. Such documents frequently contain BOLD and ITALIC
styles/effects. They may also contain other formatting (e.g. headings in a
different font/font size ... in my experience, most authors tend to apply these
as "effects" using the button bar, rather than as pre-defined styles).
Currently, all formatting is lost when pasting into OPW, and it's a real chore
to have to put back all the formatting manually ... especially in very long
documents. Of course, I could save the WORD files as RTF and import that into
OPW, but (ISTR) the translation isn't perfect and you end up with some legacy
"styles" ... tho' I haven't tried this recently. Being able to cut and paste
text from WORD files into OPW so that at least the BOLD and ITALICS are
retained, would make life a great deal easier. For preference, these would
appear in OPW as "effects", which (I assume) could be replaced with pre-defined
OPW styles using the SRWE applet ... again, I haven't tried this.
.
> Not being contrary, but what I'd often find useful is "paste with no style".
> Windows apps. sometimes offer a standard paste dialogue which offers a choice
> of the formats on the clipboard e.g. wordpad "paste special".

Yes, I think that's what I'm asking for ... BOLD and ITALICS (superscript,
subscript, etc) as "effects", not as "styles".

MSWORD 2007/2010 seems to offer THREE paste options:  Keep source formatting
(K), Merge formatting (M), and Keep text only (T). The second seems to do what
I'm looking for -- B, I, superscript are preserved, but not, e.g., font
colour/size.