[softwarelist] Re: OPW and Windows 7 - mouse speed

  • From: Clive Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 16:25:42 +0000

On 14 Nov 2009, at 14:47, David Pilling wrote:

In message <50ba1c4d49chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > writes
Speaking from a position of total ignorance, I would have thought the
OS dealt directly with mouse movement, and individual apps were only
involved when a specific event (click, drag etc) occurred.

I suspect it depends how apps handle the mouse, and there will be different approaches. For example when is the cursor changed and how often, or...

There is in Windows the concept of "mouse capture"[1], I wonder if Clive's environment is using mouse capture by an app. as a trigger to slow down mouse movement. I'd investigate if mouse movement is slower when dragging is taking place in other apps.

Mouse movement is not noticeably slower in any other app I've tried - WordPad, IE8, AdobeReader.

VMware allows Windows apps to be viewed in 3 ways: single window, full screen, & unity. The first two show the Windows desktop. The third, "Unity", allows you to have Windows apps open in the Mac desktop. The mouse movement problem is only evident in single window and full screen modes (i.e. when the windows desktop is visible).