[softwarelist] Re: OPW and Windows 7 - another problem?

  • From: Clive Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 20:53:21 +0000
On 24 Nov 2009, at 11:38, David Pilling wrote:

> In message <E8F45E6F-D5FA-4FEE-83A7-DFC9496F1A5C@xxxxxxxx>, Clive Bonsall
> <cbonsall@xxxxxxx> writes
>> turn off Direct PostScript and it works (I forgot I had DPS turned on by
>> default). It's possible to have DPS output, but the procedure has to be
>> <Print to file> and drop the resulting PS file into Acrobat Distiller.
>
> That is interesting. It raises the question when did Acrobat require DPS
> turned off.

Not sure -- as I recall, OPW with DPS selected wouldn't print to Acrobat 8, but
would print to Acrobat 4. When I get time, I'll check it with Acrobat 4 (and
5-7, if I can find machines with those versions installed).

> My memory is that there was a good reason to have DPS switched on (forgotten,
> but usually better quality, features like CMYK output) and good reasons to
> have it switched off (support for meta files).

I don't use meta files, and I've always found that DPS gave better quality for
complex documents. And wasn't there some issue with images that have a
transparent background?