[softwarelist] Re: OPW - Portable (USB Memory stick) version?

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 11:56:35 +0000

***** Non-member submission to closed-post list. *****

From: Paul Shayler <g6tsf@xxxxxxxxx>

In message <RV1u8vCiAFgJFwM$@pilling.demon.co.uk>, David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
From: Paul Shayler <g6tsf@xxxxxxxxx>
I was just wondering, would it be possible to produce a version of OPW
that could be installed on and run from a USB Memory stick. This would
be like the PortableApps versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, Filezilla
etc. As I understand it nothing gets installed on the "host" computer.

This would be a good idea. A few years back one of the memory stick
makers set up a standard. I've no idea if the above use that standard
or work some other way.

It is not entirely trivial though because I do use the registry for
saving some data.

The standard you refer to I think is what is known as "U3". I appreciate that it may be possible to produce a "portable" version, but may not be easy to sort out use of the registry.

Paul S.

--
Paul Shayler    M3TSF/G6TSF
Running the Internet accelerator ONSPEED.