[softwarelist] Re: OPW OP fonts in Windows 7

  • From: John M Ward <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 21:01:56 +0000 (GMT)

In article <MLlJ7$Jkp5RLFwu6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

[modest snip]

> I was going to comment on Dave Symes problems, that most of my .exe
> files are compressed, and expand when run, this is standard on RISC OS
> (squeeze), less common on Windows. Point being that some virus programs
> don't like the look of expanding .exe files.

Virus checkers I'd have thought.  Just to be clear...

> Seemed reasonable when I started Windows programming, by now transfer
> speeds are such that we could probably all live without compressed
> .exe's.

I notice that there are still a lot of self-extracting .exe -type
downloaded programs in that market, and the extracted files do count at a
noticeably higher total number of bytes than the downloaded file was, so
it suggests that programs supplied in that way are still compressed in
many cases.

That is probably just to save download times for those on slow
connections; and perhaps versions supplied on CD (where that option
exists) are not compressed?  I don't know: just guessing.

--
John Ward in Medway, Kent - using RISC OS since 1987
Now using an Iyonix, an A9home, 2 RiscPCs and Virtual-RPC!