[softwarelist] Re: More Stationery... Was Default Stationery

  • From: Denys Wells <denyswells@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:02:52 +0100

In message <514bc8211btheboss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Robert Greenfield <theboss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 23 Aug, Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Unfortunately it has not been possible to do the PDF work on RO because
>> of the size of the documents and the time it takes on RO for the PDF
>> process, so we've been using Win OvPro and PDFCreator on a reasonably
>> spec'd computer to print out of Win OvPro. (In seconds rather than
>> forever on RO).

> When I've got very large documents in OvPro that I want to convert to PDF
> in a hurry I print to file using the excellent !PS3 and feed this into
> GhostGum's GSView on XP laptop.
> It does a good job converting to PDF and I've not had any issues with
> transparency or large graphics frames (almost always Artworks2 files).

A similar method: make a Postscript file from an OvPro document on
RISCOS with !PS3 in !Printers, transfer it to an XP machine which has
PDFCreator (set in Windows as the application to open PS files) and a
recent version of Ghostscript installed, and simply double-click the
PS file there. PDFCreator does the rest in a fraction of the time
taken to convert PS to PDF with Ghostscript on RISCOS. This worked
well for me recently with a 170-page document: as it uses !PS3 there
should be no problem with any graphics. The result can be checked
quickly with Acrobat reader before the PDF is printed, either in
house, or by a commercial printer.
Regards,

--
Denys Wells