[softwarelist] Impression to OPro - page numbering

  • From: Ray Favre <ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OvationPro Mail List <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 14:14:48 +0000 (GMT)

You may have seen a request here about getting an OPro version of the
Dr Wimp Manual - which I foolishly agreed to try to provide!

There are some problems concerned with matching the comprehensive
index with the resulting page numbering.

The Impression original has 47 chapters (there was a good reason at
the time!) and most of them are grouped - using Impression's facility
to allow different 'chapters' to have the same chapter number. The
end result is a document with an un-numbered opening Section followed
by four numbered Sections (numbered 1-4) with the page numbering
restarting from 1 in each Section - despite, for instance, Section 2
comprising over 30 'chapters'.

Converting this to OPro with TransImp has handled the layout very
well but the page numbering is all over the place and there doesn't
seem to be a quick way of correcting it. It looks as if the
artificial 'chapter' numbering of the original cannot be replicated
in OPro.

Am I right?

Also, is there a way of getting the conversion to OPro to take
account of 'trailing empty pages' in an Impression Double Page
Spread?. This, too, mucks up the original page numbering.

Finally, I didn't realise before that OPro uses a master page for
each chapter - even when the master page is the same (as opposed to,
say, one master page serving the whole document). This makes
repetitive master page changes to a multi-chaptered document very
tedious. Or am I missing something?

I am resigned to a bit of a slog (probably to get rid of the 47
chapters in the Impression version) but I thought I'd ask here first
for any ideas.

--
Regards from Ray Favre. Email at:  <ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Web site at: <http://www.rayfavre.me.uk/>