[softwarelist] Re: Importing TIFFs into OPW

  • From: Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 22:15:31 +0100

Gavin Crawford wrote:

In article <4485F791.9000609@xxxxxxxx>,
   Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for this. Undoubtedly, I am using bigger images than I need to. But I'm unsure about the optimum mode/dpi setting to use, so advice
would be appreciated.

For non-colour stuff, I tend to scan everything at 8bpp grayscale and
the highest resolution (dpi) that my computer can manage, because I can
always reduce the images to 1bpp and/or lower resolutions, as/when
required.

The JOB is this ... a book DTP'd using OPW, which will contain lots of
line drawings and B&W photos.

First, I think it's important to distinguish between the two different types of images you will be using in your book.

Lets start with the easy ones - B+W photos. These are in fact grey-scale
images and you will want these at 8bpp to give you the range of grey
tones you'd expect in a photo.

What can often cause confusion is that one person may refer to black and
white while describing a grey scale image (such as a photo), while somebody
else will take it to mean a 1bpp image. A 1bpp image is referred to as
'line art' and is ONLY black and white with no other tonal (grey)
levels. If there are other grey values in the image then it cannot be
called line art, even if the picture is drawn as lines.

It will be sent to a commercial printer
either as camera-ready copy or as a series of PDF files. For the line
drawings what would be the optimum resolution -- e.g. is there anything
to be gained by having the images at 1200dpi or even 2400dpi, or will
600dpi suffice?

There are some general guidelines that many people work to when producing artwork/origination for printed mater. In reality there are many factors that come into play when deciding on image resolutions, such as printing method (litho, screen, digital press, di press etc)...

[snip]

I'm just trying to think if I've covered everything. Probably not, so if
you are not sure just ask. Having spent over 20 years in the
prepress/print industry I find it difficult to sum up that experience
into a few paragraphs when someone asks me 'how do you want it?'.

Gavin - this is all extremely helpful to me, and I'm sure it will be appreciated by other subscribers to the Softwarelist. Many thanks! Thanks also to Alan Adams for his input yesterday.

One comment ... Re. getting image sizes down to the dimensions required by a publisher. I use Photoshop for scanning and it's easy to change the dimensions of a scanned image without changing the dpi setting. I never really thought of doing this in OP(W) + DPScan using the method you suggest, but it's interesting to know it can be done that way.
--
Clive Bonsall
C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx