[softwarelist] Re: Halftone scanning

  • From: Dave Barnett <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:22:24 GMT

In a recent message           David Pilling
<flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <aa667c484f.Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Barnett
> <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>>As far as I was concerned DplngScan and TWAIN were joined at the hip.
>
> No you can use both of them without the other.

I have used DpScan stand-alone to tweak images from a number of
sources, very useful.  My version of !TWAIN does not load to the
iconbar, so I don't know its version or stand-alone capability.

[...]
>>The best result is obtained using 100dpi Grey with Superscale, dither
>>makes no difference.   This is very acceptable.  Mottling is no longer
>>apparent (as scanned).
>
> Dan made a good point. Moire patterning can also be due to the monitor
> screen - the magnify tool in DPscan has a button "rational" which gets
> rid of such effects by displaying one image pixel per screen pixel.

That has no effect.  Increasing dpi above 100 increases problem.  I am
happy with results for this image.

OT ?   One thing that I have found for DPscan is that increasing the
'Next' bar on the Task display reduces the incidence of 'Type 5'
errors.

--
Dave
Keep GMT all year