[softwarelist] Re: Graphic filetypes

  • From: David Pilling <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 22:01:52 +0000

Hi,

On 11/01/2018 21:42, Alan Adams wrote:

I've yet to see a compression artefact, unless I apply some large
degree of processing, which usually means it was a badly exposed image
in the first place.

I'm a raw fan, they have a wider dynamic range than JPEGs, more suitable for processing. Cameras usually use next to no JPEG compression (or to put it another way a very high quality factor - near 100%).

Raw files do have third party, open source support, so they're likely to be readable for a long time.

That raises another solution, as long as your archive type is supported by software that is likely to be around for a long time, you can always convert it to another format.

It is not quite the same as saving in a format that always will be supported.

--
David Pilling
www.davidpilling.com