[softwarelist] Re: Frame height too big error on RO OPro

  • From: Peter Newble <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 22:42:58 +0100
On 21 Sep 2015, at 22:01, David Pilling <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, well done, the code has a max value of 2590000 internal units which are
1/72000 ths of an inch.

I noticed this fairly recently too, creating a banner to be printed on a
printer whose maximum sheet size is 320mm × 1200mm, i.e. 3401575 millipoints
wide. My workround, having gone through exactly the same process as Gavin of
creating a frame which I was then unable to alter, was to use a smaller page
size and frame size, then print at more than 100%.

Since I use 32 bit integers throughout, there's no reason to have such a
small value.

I had wondered why that seemingly arbitrary limit — somewhere between 2^21 and
2^22 millipoints.

I can do you a new version tomorrow, how big is big enough.

If you’re using 32-bit unsigned integers I’d vote for the maximum limit of
(2^32)–1 units (which is nearly a mile) in each axis unless there’s a good
reason to impose a lower limit. I have created documents in the past with a
vast page size, usually containing many much smaller frames, but in which any
particular arbitrary maximum frame size might be limiting. A document intended
to be printed in tiles might easily be bigger than any printing device
available to the user, or it might be created using real-world units but only
intended to be printed at a smaller scale.

The current limit is too small even to fill an A0 sheet (3370981 × 2383643
internal units) when printed at 100%, let alone B0, 2A0 or larger standard
sizes that a large-format printer or any other device that accepts Postscript,
such as a vinyl cutter, might handle.

Peter Newble.