[softwarelist] Re: For every file in a folder

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 15:51:01 +0200

In message <lposMyBghOXOFw9b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> In message <BZslAbBzPOXOFw6L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Pilling
> <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>>Can anyone remind me how one goes about applying a command to every
>>file in a directory. I have this hazy memory of something called
>>'foreach' or similar. Must be a utility but I have failed to Google it.

> For RISC OS...

*help repeat
==> Help on keyword Repeat
*Repeat iterates over a directory, performing a command for each
object found
directories     limit search to directories
files           limit search to files
applications    limit search to applications
type <type>     limit search to files of a given type
tasks           start each command as a separate task
verbose         give an indication of progress
sort            enumerate directories in ascending ASCII order
stb             put first error into X$Error (except when -tasks)
Syntax: *Repeat <command> <directory> [-directories | -files |
-applications |
-type <type>] <tail> [-tasks] [-verbose] [-sort] [-stb]

This is from RISC OS 5. Not all versions of RISC OS have the full set
of options as above. Not all versions of RISC OS have the command in
ROM, though all versions with a boot sequence at least have it as a
disc-based command in Boot:Utils.

Martin