[softwarelist] Re: Font management

  • From: M Harding <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 16:26:01 +0000 (GMT)

In article <523f3ff776dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <xSgZCgI9hn4OFwUz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,

> > In message <523f0aec39dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Symes
> > <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> > >Granted there are one or two, but generally speaking, very few
> > >Win app writers are interested in re-doing their apps for 64bit
> > >use.

> > 32 bit applications (as opposed to drivers) should be OK on 64
> > bit windows. I suppose font management might be a bit beyond the
> > scope of pure applications.

> > The Misc-> font management thing in OP will let you turn off
> > fonts, but it might be tedious to set up.

> It appears... If the app can be run from the .exe without first
> being installed (TFThing can) then it'll function under 64bit okay.
[ . . . ]
> So if Michael downloads a copy of the TFT zip archive (rather than
> the MSI version) extracts the TFT.exe to somewhere, it can be used
> just by 2/clicking that.

Dave Symes was correct about 'how daft to use 64-bit W7' - I'd never
tried anything beyond XP3 so was appalled at its problems. But this
workaround does exactly that, so thank you. I may call upon him for
some tutoring since the Help system is not as clear as it might be.
8-)   But it certainly looks promising.

Michael Harding
Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding   riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx