[softwarelist] Font management

  • From: M Harding <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 19:18:56 +0000 (GMT)

I've at last taken the plunge and have Windows OvPro to complement the
SA-VRPC RISC OS version, but I'm struggling with the fonts.

Under RISC OS I have the lovely flexible !FontDirPro which allows me
to group all the fonts (e.g. serif/sans/basics folders) and to switch
on or off either groups or individual sets. With Windows I'm swamped
with fonts, where for DTP I really need only certain ones of my
choosing (mainly from the EFF Typography CD which has RISC OS & TT
versions) while allowing .doc files sent to me to appear as the
authors intended.

Dave Symes pointed me to The Font Thingy and I've downloaded that to
the XP computer - I'm currently trying to tame it. But I also have a
laptop running W7 64-bit. The Font Thingy is version 0.8 from about
1999 and the W7 laptop squawks in protest and tells me to get it
fixed or else.

Any ideas please?

Michael Harding
Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding   riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx