[softwarelist] Re: Find and Replace

  • From: "lists (ww)" <lists@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:28:34 +1300

On 13 Oct, David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> All that is fair enough. Quiting without an error... can be due to
> lack of memory,

It was a story of less than one A4 page.

> bump up the wimp slot in !Run (at the end).

I have: WimpSlot -min 1648K -max 1648K
What change do you recommend?

[snip]
> >I've now installed SRWE 0.03.
> So does that mean you're talking about SRWE throughout, or the built
> in  find/replace? Presumably the built in version since you pressed
> F4? I'm just wondering why confuse matters with SRWE if you're not
> using it.

No, I wasn't using SRWE. I was using the built in version. I got SRWE
down imagining that it'd be an improvement on the original, a S&R that
has more 'effect' than the original!. My mistake. I see now it's a way
to S&R and retain the 'effects'.

I find OPro's Find and Replace so unreliable [earlier versions, and
now the recent crash with v2.77] that it's almost unbearable when
sometimes it cannot find things in the same story - WITH 'from start'
 ticked - and will then find them on a second attempt, including
ones that were well past the curser point, so there was no need for
'from start' for those.

I started this thread in case there were other instances of F&R
unreliability, and if so to get tips to get around it. But maybe it's
just me, or maybe it's not a feature used very musch. I will likely
revert to using Zap's S&R before importing the text into OP.

Something not mentioned in the manual wrt find&replace is using the
clipboard to put things into the F&R? writeble icons. Seems to me an
great way to put a exact char, word or phrase into the search string,
especially if it's something not on the normal keyboard, like a
top-bit char.

Is the clipboard an acceptable way to enter chars into F&R?

Thanks.

Brian