[softwarelist] Re: !Fetch_NS and SparkFS

  • From: Brian Jordan <brian.jordan9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 18:36:13 +0100

In article <531e2c7f53.Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Steve Joyce <Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've tried to use Fetch_NS to keep my copy of NetSurf updated. It has
> worked sometimes, but often errors, being unable to extract the new
> NetSurf from the zip file.

> I intially thought that the long pathlength was the problem and tried
> to circumvent this by copying the zip file to the root directory.
> However, it now seems that if SparkFS is already on the iconbar, it
> will work. It it is not, it won't. Is there something I can do to
> cause it to load SparkFS? Double clicking zip-typed files works
> without problem!

[Snip]

This has been discussed somewhere else (c.s.a.a?) and it was concluded
that this is entirely a Fetch_NS issue. As I recall Fetch_NS, which is an
Obey file didn't cope with unzipping NetSurf, just as you describe, and
the solution was to preload SparkFS. I notice now that Frank de Bruijn
has made a later version of Fetch_NS (2.20) available which makes sure
SparkFS is on the icon bar before attempting to Install NetSurf.
This works well here so thanks Frank.