[softwarelist] Re: Error message when using a font (OvProW)

  • From: Martin Devon <martin.devon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 15:29:21 +0000

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 13:57:09 +0000

> In message <20101114123956.2fcfe3c5@qpc>, Martin Devon
> <martin.devon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> >Same problem but, running under wine, trying Misc -> Preferences give
> >an "access denied". Where are the preferences, please, so they can be
> >chmodded - or is there another method?
>
> I wouldn't have thought opening the Preferences window would give you
> a file access error - if that's what you're getting at. Preferences
> are stored in documents, and then there is a copy on disc which is
> used as a default for new documents. I could understand you getting
> an error when trying to save preferences.
>
> Preferences on disc are OP script language files, so everything that
> can be saved is set via a script language function. So you can always
> execute a script language function, say via a macro to change a
> setting for your document.
>
> As to the preferences file, with things that a user might change,
> there are often two copies, one in the main program folder (i.e.
> where you install OP), and another one where Windows saves user
> choices. The user choice copy takes precedence.
>
> User files are saved somewhere akin to:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\David Pilling\Application
> Data\DavidPilling\OvationPro
>
> where the first "David Pilling" is replaced with your user name.
> Preferences would be in the AutoRun sub folder.

Thanks for this. Under wine, the locations are
~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/DavidPilling/OvationPro/AutoRun
and user files are at
~/.wine/drive_c/users/(name)/ApplicationData/DavidPilling/OvationPro/AutoRun

No user data has been saved and the latter location contains
only !Tags.csc.
Clicking on Misc -> Preferences gives an error Access Denied
(GetScrollInfo) (5). However, all the files seem to have sufficient
access by chmod. Could the problem be that under linux it is not
possible to create a file named !xxx unless in the form \!xxx ?

Fortunately, the RISC OS version runs happily under RPCEmu, (so long as
the latter stands up) except you can't print from it :-(

Martin

--
Martin R Devon MSc
Consulting Engineer, Box, Wiltshire, UK