[softwarelist] Re: CrossStar oddity with RISC OS 5.13

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 11:27:25 +0000

In message <5481115e4f.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

I get a list of solutions which starts appropriately, and then further
down the list (usually from about words starting with "l") words which
increasingly have no relation to the letters in the grid, either in
number or in relevance to the three letters I have typed. The real
oddity is that if I do exactly the same in VRPC running 4.02 (David, I
hope it's OK to have it on both machines!), same version and same
dictionaries, it all comes out quite correctly.

I wonder if the dictionaries have become corrupted. Going way back there were bugs in the code for handling dictionaries. So you might copy the dictionaries from the system that works to the one that doesn't.