[softwarelist] Re: Copy and paste of guide lines

  • From: Gavin Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 23:46:37 +0100

In article <u1Ihk0CO5l2JFwY5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> In message <5047d20484gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Gavin Crawford
> <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> >Is there a way to paste guide lines?

> This surprise me. It looks like an oversight, because you can copy them
> to the clipboard, and the clipboard even displays them, but copying
> back doesn't appear to work.

It's been like that for as long as I can remember.

> I would have assumed that copying via the clipboard did work.

The fact that they are visible on the clipboard, would imply that the
original plan was to allow guides to be copy and pasted. It would
suggest that the 'Past' code isn't set to handle the same object types
as the cut/copy code.

> Drag and drop does appear to let you copy guidelines around a document
> (that's click drag with alt and optionally shift).

So it does! But if 'paste' (from the clipboard) worked, it would open up
the ability to use the PastePos applet and multiple clipboards.

It was the ability to paste a bunch of precisely positioned guidelines
from one master page to another that I was looking for. Not to worry,
I've knocked together a quick and dirty little applet that takes a list
of horizontal and vertical values and creates guidelines on the current
page in the required positions.  ... I do love that ddl() function. ;-)

--
Gavin Crawford
email: gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx