[softwarelist] Re: Columns

  • From: Robin Hampshire <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ovation software list <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 07:50:46 +0100

In article <464B8C59.7010202@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Peter Prewett <pprewett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> How does one get in a column the words centred and justified so
> that each word is the same length.

> For example
> HIT
> HMM

> To look like:-
> H  I  T
> HMM

> The document that I am working from manages it yet it does not
> look as bad/exaggerated as the above.

Not really sure what you mean, but the only way I know of to guarantee
that each word takes up the same space is to use a monospaced font (eg
Courier).

If you want each word to be fully justified across the column, with space
inserted between each letter to accomplish this (i.e. so that the first
letter of each of the words is to the left of the column, and the final
letter of each lines up at the right hand end of the column), then one way
of doing it is as follows:

  Create a style with the following attributes set:

  Open the Format dialogue in the "Edit Style" dialogue, and choose
  Alignment: Justify (then click on the little box alongside until a tick
  appears)

  In the same Format dialogue, click on Enhanced Justification until a tick
  appears, and then click on the menu popup to the right of it to show the
  Enhanced Justification dialogue. Click on "Single words" so that a tick
  appears, then change the 0mm setting in the Flush Zone box to something a
  bit larger than the width of your columns. Press Return after doing this.

  Make sure that you successively click on "OK" in each of the three
  dialogue boxes that are now open on your desktop in reverse order to
  that in which they appeared - "Enhanced Justification", then "Modify
  Format" and then "Edit Style". If you do not do this, the changes you
  have made to the style definition will not be saved.

Apply the new style to your text. You may have to fiddle with the "Flush
Zone" setting if it is not high enough.

regards,

--
Robin Hampshire