[softwarelist] Re: Colour in Black and White prints

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 14:20:20 +0100

In message <5293d9624dPaul@xxxxxxxx>
          Paul Sprangers <Paul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <a99dd79352.Alan.Adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I'm still at a loss about why it only appears on odd (or was it even?)
>> frames.

> It's the odd frames, but then exclusively the page number frame. The text
> frame on the same master page, with the same white fill, is doing fine.

Are all the frames generated from one master page, or do you have a
pair of left-right masters? If the latter, are you quite sure both
page number frames are identical? If they are, then the number itself
must be implicated. You could check that by changing the "start at"
page number so the odd pages become even etc. However it means
bothering your printer, since he is the only one who can test it.

>> I'd be inclined to print to PostScript, using PS3, and examine the
>> PostScript for those page number frames.

> I've done that, but I can't find any colour, just as in the PDF file (which
> has actually been generated with the same PS3 driver, isn't it?), or in the
> original OvationPro document.

Have you looked at it with GView? I don't expect it to see any
difference, but...

>> Can you strip the document down to just the page number frames and
>> reproduce the problem?

> I could do that, but the problem is that currently the only one who is able
> to see whether the problem is reproduced, is my printer - and I rather
> don't bother the poor man too much, since he's already been quite busy
> removing that dreaded fill.

>> That's baffling. It almost suggests the printer is doing some
>> processing first. I wonder whether he's actually using Acrobat rather
>> than Reader?

> That's what I suspected as well, but he states that he's just using Acrobat
> Reader, albeit on a Mac. Could that make some difference, perhaps?

There could be a difference I suppose.

What happens if he sends the PDF back to you - does the fill show up
using either Adobe reader or Gview? If so, he's altering the PDF in
some way before seeing the problem.

Alan

Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx