[softwarelist] Re: Colour in Black and White prints

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 12:29:20 +0100

In message <5293cd5e5ePaul@xxxxxxxx>
          Paul Sprangers <Paul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear all,

> I've come across a problem that might be either OvationPro related, or
> postscript related - I don't know.

> Anyhow, I've sent a PDF file of a OvationPro document to the print shop.
> The cover is full colour, the inside is black and white. Nevertheless, some
> frames in the inside, particularly the page number frames, appear to have a
> very faint yellow fill. It's not visible in the OvationPro original, nor in
> the PDF file when I examine that one with any of the PDF viewers that come
> with RISC OS, but it is visible at the printers side. He has sent me some
> screen shots of the output as an evidence.

What happens if you "view separations"?

I recently has a similar experience - my b/w laser was playing up, so
I used the colour one with the colour button unticked in the PS3
driver.

One photo came out in full colour. That was because it wass the only
one not subject to picture processing, so it passes straight through.
However a number of other features which should have been black had a
slight green tinge.

In the past I've defined a colour "text black" which had K only - no
C, M or Y.

I haven't noticed an off-colour white though. Examining your sample it
appears that the colour is the frame fill, rather than the text
background. Have you checked how that is defined?

> But things get stranger: since I had to make the full colour cover
> separately anyway, I thought that generating the inside with the 'Colour'
> button switched off (in the PrintPDF driver) would solve the problem.
> Not so.
> It did solve the problem for the even page numbers, but the odd pages still
> have that faint shade of yellow fill! Does anyone has an explanation for
> this?

> You can have a look at the screenshot here:
> http://www.riscos.sprie.nl/Downloads/Temp/Screenshot.png
> A close look is probably needed to distinguish the yellow fill, but it is
> definitively there.

> Curious about your thoughts,
> Paul Sprangers

Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire