[softwarelist] Re: Chapter

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 18:36:03 GMT

In message <51a063af2adave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> She has an old Ov Pro document, it is in a particular paper form, bog
> standard A4 and it has 12 chapters.
> It contains text, and a number of pictures.

> She now needs to  put this lot in a new paper size (US standard paper
> size) which is bit wider and and somewhat shorter that our A4.
> She has a US paper size blank template.

> How does she get this 12 chapter, text and graphics OvPro document into
> the new size template?

I haven't played with changing templates. It doesn't sound easy.

> How would you do it?

It would depend on how the document is structured.

If it is a layout where each page has its own frame, linked possibly,
then each frame will probably need to be resized.

If it is in a "book" type layout, with the text in linked master
frames, then changing the master frams for each chapter will do a lot
of the work.

Are the pictures overlaying text frames, or embedded in ther text?

If they are embedded, then they should reflow, but you may get page
breaks in unwanted places.

In any case, it will involve quite a lot of fiddling to get it right,
after the initial changes just to fit the print area.

Don't forget to use "show print margins" when doing this, it may save
you making unnecessary changes.

The messiest part will probably be related to page breaks. If you
haven't worked close to the print margins, you might get away with
minimal changes.

[ MS Word has similar problems, which is why it is not uncommon to
change printers and get blank, or almost blank pages between printed
pages. It repaginates automatically. The only reason it isn't seen as
a massive problem is because the default page margins fit inside the
printable area of both paper sizes. However smart printers will wait
for the correct size paper to be loaded, which causes great annoyance.
]

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx