[softwarelist] CMYK in ArtWorks files in OPro

  • From: Gavin Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 11:57:25 +0100

Hi,

Is there a way to print CYMK objects contained in ArtWorks files to
PostScript?

I have some ArtWorks files embedded within an OPro document and I am
trying to get the CMYK defined objects to appear in the PS3 output in
CMYK. I guess this is handled by the ArtWorks Renderer module, so
maybe this is the wrong list to ask on, but I know Martin Wuerthner
usually reads this list so I thought I'd start it here as it's an OPro
document being printed.

I'll explain the situation: I have a number of Adobe Illustrator files
of graphs and charts that are to be included into a book that it being
created in (RISC OS) OPro. I load the file into Illustrator and save
as PDF, the PDF is then imported into ArtWorks and then dropped into
Ovation Pro. But when printing to PostScript using the PS3 driver all
CMYK objects are converted to RGB.

I did a little test with some basic rectangles with solid fill colours
in C,M,Y,K,R,G,B. These objects appear in the PS output with an RGB
setting in the form of: 0 255 255 rg
So I did some simple changes to these lines to see if I could get the
object to appear in CMYK when distilled to a PDF.

I altered:
0 255 255 rg  -to-  1 0 0 0 setcmykcolor
255 0 255 rg  -to-  0 1 0 0 setcmykcolor
255 255 0 rg  -to-  0 0 1 0 setcmykcolor
...etc
and found that the resulting distilled PDF had these objects now set
in DeviceCMYK color space... RESULT.

It's a real shame that ArtWorks/AWRenderer does not detect the objects
that are coloured in CMYK and send the appropriate setcmykcolor to the
ps output stream!

Ok, so the reason I've posted this to David's list and not Martin's is
to ask if there is any other method that may achieve the output of
these diagrams in CMYK. I wondered about using the OEPS applet? Has
anyone else used that to get CMYK data into the PS output? Or, can
anyone recommend any other method? I did think about moving the whole
project over to InDesign, but then this really would be the wrong
list! :)

Gavin.