[softwarelist] CD download problems

  • From: John Bridger <jbridger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:33:31 GMT

I recently bought RiscOS 4.39 (at the South West show).
I needed help to get 'install' to run, but members of the
Wessex group sorted this at a meeting. Back home it would
not !Boot until I unplugged my USB card-reader (Castle
USB podule). All seemed well until Ovation kept on crashing
and locking up the computer completely. I eventually found
that some PD fonts caused this. However, there were other
problems (software not working) and I eventually re-
installed OS 4.02. I had of course saved the 4.02 !Boot file
just in case!
Everything seemed back to running without any problems until
I tried to download a file from a CD ROM. I could open up
the root directory of the CD and any subsequent directories
showing the list of files therein. Click on the file icon
and drag it to any destination and it crashed - locking up
the computer completely (only way out is to turn it off at
the mains) - the CD drive continued to whirr (rotate) until
also turned off.
I then re-installed the OS 4.39 ROMS (and its !Boot file)
but the problem remained. So I went back to 4.02.
4.02 works fine in every respect - except that I can not
download any files from a CD.
Strictly speaking this is not an Ovation problem (that is
working fine again under 4.02) but can any of you clever
guys out there help me please?

John Bridger