[softwarelist] Re: Beagle, JPEG, Ovation Pro

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 14:12:41 +0100

In message <0QFtNrBDj4bNFwxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> In message <c86517ae51.farmstay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ross
> McGuinness <farmstay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

>> and we have also tried PS3. I've just tried to print
>>two pages each with a jpeg on them. Left unrotated they print fine.
>>Once I rotated one image the printer (PS2) comes back with a 'not
>>enough memory' message. PS3 does the same but continues to print the
>>page with the unrotated image- this is a 539,248 byte file that
>>displays a blank page.

Just to clarify: That error message is not from the printer driver, it
is from OvationPro.

> There is a setting in OP choices, 'print memory' [...]

> Print memory is memory OP reserves before starting to print, the problem
> it is attempting to cure is the printer driver grabbing all the memory
> in the machine and the application being left with none - one wouldn't
> really expect that with a PS driver.

Exactly. Neither the PS2 driver nor the PS3 driver require any
significant amount of memory for printing nor do they reserve any
memory when printing starts. So, I doubt that the "Print memory"
option can have any effect when printing to PostScript.

I suspect there is a bug somewhere in OP that causes that error. Maybe
some code tries reading printer properties (e.g., the resolution) and
gets it wrong for PostScript? Usually, applications test for
PostScript explicitly since the resolution value returned from
!Printers does not mean anything (though it is usually set to 300dpi
to avoid problems with applications that use the value without testing
for PostScript).

Martin