[softwarelist] Re: Beagle, JPEG, Ovation Pro

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 18:21:03 +0000

Hi,

In message <51ae2e3eb3riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, M Harding <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
Is this perhaps what has caused my computer to crash consistently when
trying to print out fairly large documents with lots of images? I
thought I'd cured the problem by converting all JPEGs to
smaller-dimensioned Sprites at a much lower memory size. But maybe
this is the cause instead?

No idea. Are you printing to PostScript? "Lots of images", are they all the same type, or a mix of Draw files, Sprites and JPEGs. Faced with a 100 page document with 1000 graphics in. I would set off with a printer driver set to print to file, and then apply the binary chop - print pages 1-50 if they crash then print pages 1-25, if they don't print pages 50 to 100. Keep dividing by two until you find what is causing the crash.

JPEG's are in general not a bad thing. The problem is that Acorn never finished support for them by providing transformed rendering, so the best I can do is unpack them to sprites.

How do I set the Print Memory, please, and to what suggested value? (I
have over 100MB of RAM, in both VRPC and Kinetic.)

Ovation Pro -> icon bar menu ->Choices->Print choices ->Memory. I would set it to 5MB. But I have no idea about your images. If I knew I had a JPEG that was rotated and unpacked to 10MB, I'd set print memory to 12MB.

 post: David Pilling, P.O. Box 22, Thornton-Cleveleys, Blackpool. FY5 1LR. UK