[softwarelist] Re: Beagle, JPEG, Ovation Pro

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 16:23:20 +0000

Hi,

In message <OF30663FB0.E70B4B5E-ON80257848.004D59B1-80257848.004FF7BA@xxxxxxxxxxx>, andy.ling@xxxxxxxxxxx writes
davidpilling wrote on 03/03/2011 12:25:39:
It is actually possible to rotate a Jpeg by 90 degrees without
have to go through the uncompress/compress process. So it is
lossless almost. You may have to trim a row or two of pixels
off one of the edges.

No idea if ChangeFSI or OP make use of this though.

Yes, but I'm talking about the general case.

OP does not take out 90 degree special cases.

I also have a feeling that you court trouble if the JPEG does not fill the sample size completely. Typically JPEGs are on an 8x8 sample, so if your picture X and Y dimensions are not multiples of 8 pixels.

Jpeg tools from the jpeg club are the thing for handling JPEGs with as little resampling as possible.

http://jpegclub.org/

 post: David Pilling, P.O. Box 22, Thornton-Cleveleys, Blackpool. FY5 1LR. UK