[softwarelist] Anyone into writing applets?

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:40:16 +0100

I've got an application which seems to require a new applet - correct
me please if one already exists.

Each year I produce a 24-page handbook for a 2-week event, and the
run-up period. The booklet is littered with dates, which are all a
constant offset from a standard date - let's call it d-day.

The first date in the calendar might therefore be d-7 i.e. a week
before the reference date, and the last might be d+21, 3 weeks after
the reference.

It would be great if I could embed tags in the document for, say d-7,
set up the reference date in some other form of tag, and have the
printed document, and ideally the displayed document, embed the
resulting date. A similar model to mail-merge would work.

Of course there is then the issue of format - 24th June, 24Jun2010,
Thu 24 June, 24/6/10, Thursday 24th etc.

(I would guess that most of the logic, and a lot of the code, could
also deal with h-hour to put times in. That's not so important to me -
yet...)

Anyone fancy a bit of programming? Although I do write stuff, I
haven't investigated OPro internals. I don't even know whether this is
possible as an applet, or whether it would require changes to the
application. How are tags dealt with?

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx