[softwarelist] Re: Any Font thoughts please?

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 19:27:36 +0100

In message <278d3bde50.roger@Iyonix>
          Roger Foden <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <50de36cb24dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Fay wanted to write her Esperanto letters in Ovation Pro for RISC OS, but
>> I cannot find a single RO Font that contains even some of the required
>> characters.

>> C and c with Circumflex.

>> G and g with Circumflex [...]

>> 1) Are there any known fonts for RO that contain the above noted?

> The ROM fonts do - but you need to use Latin3 encoding:

> Load XChars (Martin Würthner FREEWARE) and by clicking on the bottom
> button to the right of the big letter 'A' above the grid of
> characters, the different encodings may be obtained.
> Mouse over a character and left-click; as if by magic that character
> is inserted at the cursor.

Not quite. As if by magic the Latin-1 character that happens to be at
the same codepoint is inserted at the cursor, unless you have a
program that allows you to use Latin-3 encoding. I am not aware of any
RISC OS word processor offering an encoding switch.

You can of course switch the global system encoding to Latin-3 (by
typing *Alphabet Latin3 before loading your word processor). Then, you
will notice that XChars immediately displays the Latin3 characters and
you can indeed use all Latin-3 characters from the ROM fonts in your
word processor. However, while using Latin-3, all your existing
documents, which are based on Latin-1 may be displayed incorrectly if
they use any of the changed codepoints, so this is just a temporary
emergency workaround, not really suitable for serious work.

RISC OS word processors should really have offered an encoding option
ever since that feature was added (in RISC OS 3.1!), at least a
document-wide setting, or, better, a property that could be applied to
characters. Then, you could mix encodings in one document.

Of course, nowadays, everything should really be Unicode, which makes
all that faffing about with encodings obsolete.

Martin