[softwarelist] Re: Any Font thoughts please?

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:07:26 +0000

Hi,

Quoting myself from this list six years ago:

Sat, 22 Nov 2003

I did have a go at using a !Fonts.Messages1 file to create a new font
name with a different encoding - didn't work, and from the PRM's that is
probably no surprise.

It did bring to mind the idea that you might be able to add to the main
encoding file a small number of characters that you want to use. But
with the obvious problem that your documents would not be portable to
other machines.

From the PRM (page 3-420) you should be able to tack the encoding on to the name of a font, I wonder if this works in something like Draw - this has the facility to import text files which contain things like font names - a text area.

Otherwise one is left wondering how Acorn tested the ability to use encodings in font names.

Messages1 is a very sharp tool, the slightest error and the machine stiffs. But adding to the encoding sounds OK.

What we really want, is something that sits on a vector and glues the encoding on to the font name before the Font_FindFont SWI gets hold of it, thus allowing use in any program - nice idea for you Martin...