[softwarelist] Re: Any Font thoughts please?

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 20:33:26 +0000

Hi,

I'm reminded:

"
You already have such fonts. The newest fonts with Ovation Pro have all
these chars and many more. Just take a look in !FontEd (after locking the font files to prevent overwriting):
4 weights Bookmark,
4 weights Curator,
4 weights Paladin,
4 weights SwissB,
4 weights Vogue,
1 weight Chaucer.Medium.Italic

Besides that there are 2 symbol fonts: DPDings and SymbolB

These fonts have also a 'Type1' file to make PoScript printing without
mapping possible.

These fonts have also a 'About' text and an AFM-extract text file, giving
additional information.

The same fonts in TT format come also with Ovation Pro for Windows.
"

But as with all the comments above I am worried about the encoding - lack of support in Ovation Pro etc.

The usual way this discussion ends is with me pointing out that one can have a text file inside !Fonts which maps names (I can't recall the name Fonts3?), and wondering if it allows one to map a font name + encoding to another name?

Martin - I have put thought in to supporting encodings over the years, never got around to it - I appreciate you taking the time to join the discussion.