[softwarelist] Re: Another Windows horror story

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 15:35:07 +0000

In message <476FA83E.4000304@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Philco <philco@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes

Hard to believe that it is now over ten years since Acorn were working on their own network computer.
Was that 'twenty years'

The Archimedes came out at the end of 1987, the Acorn NC was 1997.

We'd have still had the hacks on RiscOs I guess..

Anything subjected to the attacks that MS software is would be broken, but MS are a special case, they're rich enough to get things right. Looking at some of the guidance they offer programmers it is apparent they've gone a long time without using the simplest good practices.

If Acorn had kept RISC OS in ROM it would have been difficult to hack.

RISC OS needed to be transformed the same way that the Windows 9X line was, or Mac OS - into a "proper" operating system with the protection that implies.

Leaves me wondering is there a solution that satisfies my requirements - web, email, word processing, no messing about?

The "One Lap Top per child" machine sounds a bit like it, but last time I looked was not on sale in the first world. Possibly a mobile phone would do ;-)