[softwarelist] Re: Another Windows horror story

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 12:18:27 +0000

In message <476EE8FA.4010805@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Phillip Marsden <phillip.marsden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

I may have missed any post you might have made on the name of the virus, but could you repeat it, so that I can investigate on my own machine. Was it a virus or simply a fault of IE7?

It was a virus. However my feeling is that it only got onto my machine due to a bug in IE, as I said IE crashed and then problems started to occur.

As soon as I got a strange pop up window, I looked at the list of processes in the task manager, spotted an odd name, searched for it on disc etc. I consider I was lucky to do this.

The following news story seems to cover it. I notice that a removal tool is now available from this page:

http://www.spywarenotice.com/2007/12/packedmorphined-remove-packedmorphin
ed-now/

However I had not been indulging in any of the high risk behaviour mentioned on that web page (p2p file sharing etc.)

All I seem to do these days is email, web and a bit of word processing. Which makes me wonder if the vast complexity of Windows is an appropriate tool for the job.

It seems to me that Windows has turned into a "network computer", in other words every day one connects to the net and downloads new versions of software.

Hard to believe that it is now over ten years since Acorn were working on their own network computer.

All postings to this list are available on the web at:
//www.freelists.org/archives/davidpilling/12-2007/
(I've narrowed it down to this months to make it easy for you)

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!