[softwarelist] Re: Another Windows horror story

  • From: Brian Howlett <brian.groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:45:07 GMT

On 22 Dec, David Pilling wrote:

> Last week it became obvious my PC had a virus. I was lucky that it
> caught something designed to be irritating and promote virus detecting
> software.

> I watched what happened and I could find where the rogue code was in
> Windows. However I could not unhook it from the insides of Windows and
> neither could the anti virus software I tried.

> How did this happen? - I'd turned off Windows automatic updates,
> because I didn't want my computer changing configuration without me
> knowing about it.

You can tell Windows XP to download updates when available, but not
install them without prompting you for permission. This way, if you
are doing something and would prefer not to have to restart the PC,
you can put of the updates to a time that suits you.

Go in to your System Properties, click on the Automatic Updates tab,
and chose either of the two middle options - Download but don't
install, or notify but don't download until I tell you (paraphrased).
--
Brian Howlett