[softwarelist] Re: Age old problem

  • From: Jeremy Nicoll - zf freelists <jn.fr.lsts.74@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 15:13:52 +0100

Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>In the end, after much experimentation and online reading/manual etc we
>arrived at the conclusion PDFs in any form just don't do the business.

Could you explain - because I still don't really understand this - how you
expect a document that starts off as an A4 one, to retain its layout, but
fit into a smaller screen size?  Surely the layout has to change?

Eg multi-column text become one long skinny column, pictures get shrunk and
placed in different positions, etc?

> One I was playing with recently, PDF to Epub converter, the elements of
> the document after conversion were all over the place... Chapter 8 was a
> at the beginning of the documents page displays, followed by IIRC chapter
> 6 and so on... It was a mess.

Which contradicts what they claim on their sales pages, and isn't what their
"More info" page suggests with its various pics of more complicated document
layouts.

So what did they say when you sent them a sample PDF and explained how the
results are not accurate?  Do they think it's fixable?

--
Jeremy C B Nicoll - my opinions are my own