[softwarelist] Re: Age old problem

  • From: Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 07:11:01 +0100

In article
<59800.37.152.244.246.1340658742.squirrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Dave Lawton <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[Snippy]

> I've only direct experience with the Kobo Touch, but googling
> certainly gives the impression that the Vox, and the Wireless
> support the same document formats.

> One of these is .pdf.  Might I ask why you want your documents
> in e-pub please ?

That's what we thought, unfortunately if you thought we were having
problems with PDF to EPub conversion...

Yes you can get a PDF into readers, but the document is really unreadable.
Sure it's all there, but it's not in a size of any use, as the reader
attempts to display (Our original PDF is A4 size) the whole page in a
small reader screen.

I could go on  about our attempts to re-edit the document (In OvPro) in a
reader size template and PDF that, but that wasn't satisfactory either.

In the end, after much experimentation and online reading/manual etc we
arrived at the conclusion PDFs in any form just don't do the business.

If you process a document, by whatever means, and arrive at at an Epub
document suited to your reader, it's as near as damit perfect, in that the
text is readable, suitably sized, the elements are in the correct places
(x1)  and the document fits the reader window, so you don't have to scroll
around the window to get at the off the screen bits.
Obviously as per usual you have to move between pages in the doc.

Something like Calibre, which is still being refined and developed BTW.
can be configured to output quite a number of different reader file types.

The Epub format appears to be a more universal format than some, but to
answer your last line...

Fays reader prefers Epub, Fay's circle of friends mostly have readers that
support/prefer the Epub format.

Dave

(x1) If things are not processed correctly, often the elements of a
document are in Poo order.

One I was playing with recently, PDF to Epub converter, the elements of
the document after conversion were all over the place... Chapter 8 was a
at the beginning of the documents page displays, followed by IIRC chapter
6 and so on... It was a mess.

The Epub format is just a container for a number of sub files.
If you bring an Epub file into RISC OS (It will show as Text) change its
filetype to "Archive" then open the archive...

If you don't have one to hand, I've put a small one up at...

http://www.triffid.co.uk/dstuff/Ballhow.epub

so you can see the construction...
The complete document is inside the OPS directory, clicking the
"page-1/html" into a browser will display it.

Obviously if you have a stand alone (computer) Epub file reader, you can
do it that way.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid