[softwarelist] Re: Age old problem

  • From: David Graddol <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 17:23:53 +0800

The problem, as several people have alluded to, is epub itself which largely
seems to be a drm wrapper. I have the same problems exporting to epub from
adobe indesign - even though epub is an adobe monstrosity.

--
Sent from my Android phone

Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In article <52A4FFEEE9%mik.towse@xxxxxxxxx>,
Mik Towse <mik.towse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[Snippy]
> ..and the second, OPro not exporting in more 'acceptable' formats.
> Personally, I think it /should/ be able to export as PDF, but it may
> well be able to do this using the latest printer driver.

OvPro itself can't export as PDF, but like like any app that has a Print
facility, OvPro, Eureka etc, etc, it can Print to PDF.
This is no help as it's now proven, to our satisfaction, PDFs do not
convert well to Epubs.

> However, these are two distinct issues. If you don't wish to use the
> appropriate tool to produce Epub friendly documents, that's up to you,
> but it's unfair to criticise OPro for this.

No, there's only one issue.
It's not a case of wishes, every single document I have is in OvPro
format, I've been using it since it first arrived...

You are all still missing THE point it's mostly about.

I am not creating new documents, these are all old documents and wanting
to do something else with them.

If I was creating a new document *now* for the purpose in hand, I'd not
bother with all this RO ****, but go straight to a PC app that'll do the
business without any additional aggravation.

That *is* what we do now with new documents, for as much as I dislike
Word... We can Export straight out of Word and into Calibre (I say 99.9
percent she says 100 percent accurate).

Dave

FWIW. I still prefer, and do use OvPro for all my business documents, it's
a most excellent app, it's just unfortunate that in the export area it's
so lacking.

D.

--

Dave Triffid