[softwarelist] Re: 32-bit OPro applets.

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 16:54:36 +0000

Hi,

On 04/11/2014 12:21, Peter Young wrote:
On 4 Nov 2014  Colin Ferris <cferris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It would be handy for people with problems - to have copy of 'where'
installed in '!Boot.Library' - downloadable from Druck's web site.

Yes, I usually do this, but it's not a lot of help when the machine
locks up!

Colin's suggestions are helpful, I'd forgotten the command. As to lock ups. It depends, if one app is hogging polling, then ISTR they introduced a keypress (Alt + break?) to get out of it.

If the whole machine is stiffed, that is more difficult.

Usually bugs can be found. But at the moment, I'm thinking, what machine, which version of RISC OS, what else is running [1].

The worst scenario, is that OP damages the insides of RISC OS in a random way and then other things crash. Has anyone produced something to temporarily protect the RISC OS memory area.

I was wistfully speculating what the originators of RISC OS might have produced by now if they'd been allowed to continue - one thing an operating system that could not be stiffed by rogue applications...

[1] definitely nothing that requires address alignment exceptions turning off.

www.davidpilling.com