[softwarelist] Re: =20

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:15:44 +0100

In message <4E051B88B8%andy-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Andy Wingate <andy-l@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <38f112054e.michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           michael talibard <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I used to be able to post my contributions here, or
>> to write emails, that looked much the same when they
>> arrived as they did here. But suddenly, there is a rash
>> of intrusions of  =20.  Does anyone know why?
>
> If you look at your message <7fac11054e.michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [1],
> you'll see you used a non-ASCII character for your smiley's nose.
> Messenger-Pro then MIME-encoded it as =8F so that it fitted into a
> 7-bit character space [2]. In MIME encoding, a newline gets
> represented as =20, pound sign as =A3 (see your
> <227d60014e.michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx>) and the = sign as =3D.

It is not exactly MIME as such, it is the quoted-printable encoding
used, and if the mailing list software worked properly (or was
configured properly) it would either leave it as quoted-printable or
convert the message properly rather than just corrupting the
content-transfer-encoding header.

> In summary, it was all of your doing :-) Stick to ASCII and things
> should work properly.

What about fixing the mailing list software [configuration] instead?

Quoted-printable is established technology and all other mailing lists
I have seen so far work fine with it. Besides, there is no reason why
mailing lists should unnecessarily mess with messages anyway apart
from changing the headers required for the delivery of the message.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner          MW Software          martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx